There’s no telling what ideas the Texas Legislature will put forth during its time at the Capitol. Each session, thousands of bills are proposed—many affecting property owners, your business, and the real estate industry.
Association staff and volunteer Texas REALTORS® read every bill and work with lawmakers to promote a legislative agenda that benefits consumers and the real estate industry.
What positions has TAR taken on issues?
What happens at the Capitol and in local government affects your business. That's why the Texas Association of REALTORS® follows a wide range of public-policy issues at the local and state level that affect your business and consumers.
The Texas Association of REALTORS® Executive Board approved TAR's Legislative Priorities for the 85th Texas Legislature.
See TAR's position on these issues:
- County rulemaking authority
- Eminent domain
- Home equity: Mortgage finance
- Homeowners associations (HOAs)
- Infrastructure: Energy
- Infrastructure: Transportation
- Infrastructure: Water
- Local property taxes: Appraisal caps
- Local property taxes: Central appraisal districts
- Local property taxes: Tax rate-setting process
- Property management: Rental property registration
- Sales-price disclosure
- Sales tax on professional services
- Sales tax/Transfer tax on real estate transactions
- The Texas Real Estate Commission
- Title insurance
- Windstorm insurance
How did legislators perform during the 2015 session?
The Texas Association of REALTORS® produces a Legislature Scorecard based on how members of the Texas House and Texas Senate voted on real estate-related issues during the session.